One of the most common impressions DUI suspects face after their first arrest is how easy it was to get caught, as stated from our Indianapolis first time DUI attorney. DUI stops and arrests happen all the time, and it can happen to law-abiding citizens from all walks of life. If someone is arrested for driving drunk or under the influence, it’s not because they’re bad people, they’ve just made a simple and even momentary lapse in judgment.
But despite their intentions, the American criminal justice system doesn’t typically acknowledge that. They see a person who drove drunk – and will dole out punishments according to that statute. Additionally, if a conviction occurs in a DUI or OWI case, penalties not only can greatly interrupt the life of the accused but also persist as a black mark on their driving record.
Why Choose Wruble Law LLC?
At Wruble Law LLC, we understand how dismayed many first-time DUI suspects are following their charges. Often, these are citizens who have never had a legal issue before and want to put this matter behind them as swiftly and favorably as possible.
With Wruble Law LLC’s dedicated Indianapolis first time DUI lawyer Stan Wruble by your side, that’s precisely the kind of aggressive, proactive approach you can expect. He is experienced in handling all types of OWI and drunk driving cases, ensuring that you are represented fairly during every step of the process. Stan Wruble is here to provide you with compassionate and knowledgeable legal defense when it matters most.
The team has more than two decades of collective legal experience with these matters and is ready to pursue the best possible outcome on your behalf. So don’t wonder what your legal options could have been – contact the firm today to start exploring a possible defense before it’s too late. Get your free consultation by calling (317)-308-8584.
Understanding First-Time DUI Penalties in Indiana
Unlike other misdemeanors, which come with a simple fine or minimal jail time, DUI convictions can have a greater impact on the accused, even upon just one offense. This is because multiple types of penalties can apply, enforced by the state under the criminal statute found in Indiana Code 9-30-5 and the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).
First-time DUI penalties in Indiana can include the following:
- 180-day license suspension
- A maximum of 60 days in jail
- A minimum fine of $500 (maximum fine of $5,000)
- Possible substance abuse assessment
It is also possible, if the court sees fit, that an ignition interlock device may be mandated to be installed in the accused’s car following their license suspension. An ignition interlock device, sometimes called (IID), is a breathalyzer-like device installed in a vehicle’s ignition system to prevent it from starting if the driver has consumed alcohol. The device measures the driver’s breath alcohol concentration and requires them to blow into the device before starting the vehicle.
Keep in mind: these are the maximum penalties that can be argued down and avoided. In many cases, even the license suspension can be reduced with an appeal for a limited driver’s license. However, these outcomes are only possible with effective legal counsel in your corner.
What To Look For In A Indianapolis First Time DUI Lawyer
Whenever faced with the reality that you or a loved one has been accused of a criminal offense, this is likely your first real interaction with the criminal justice system as a defendant. Considering this fact, it’s understandable that you may not know what attributes to seek in a criminal defense attorney.
As part of a skilled legal team at Wruble Law LLC, we know what it takes to assemble and craft the perfect first-time DUI/OWI defense. Based on our 25 years in the field of criminal defense law, here’s what our Indianapolis DUI attorney recommends you seek out in a legal partner:
- Skilled and Responsive Communicators: A strong legal team should prioritize effective communication, actively listening to clients and maintaining open lines of dialogue throughout the case. Clear and timely communication ensures a thorough understanding of the situation and enables the crafting of a robust defense strategy.
- Compassionate: Facing a first-time DUI/OWI charge can be a daunting experience, and a compassionate legal team can provide the necessary support and guidance. They should approach each case empathetically, addressing clients’ concerns and helping them navigate the legal process with care and understanding.
- Not Afraid To Do What It Takes To Win: A dedicated legal team will leave no stone unturned in pursuing a successful defense. They should be willing to go above and beyond, investing the time, effort, and resources needed to build a strong case. By carefully examining the details, exploring legal options, and utilizing effective strategies, they strive to achieve the best possible outcome for their clients.
Charged with A First-Time DUI? An Indianapolis First Time DUI Lawyer Can Help You
Experiencing a DUI charge can be a frightening and overwhelming experience. Indianapolis criminal defense lawyer Stan Wruble is dedicated to providing his clients with competent, personalized legal guidance. With 25 years of experience practicing in Indiana, he understands the complexities of DUI cases and the applicable state laws.
The Indianapolis first time DUI lawyers from Wruble Law LLC offer free consultations for those charged with their first-time DUI in Indianapolis, so we encourage you to schedule your appointment today and let us help you fight your charges.
If you want to learn more about how Wruble Law LLC can help, contact the firm today to request a free initial case evaluation by calling (317)-308-8584 or contacting us today.