A conviction for a sex crime in Indiana can turn your life upside down. The severity of the penalties and the social and personal consequences can make returning to normal life extremely difficult. A convicted offender may face strict legal consequences, including incarceration, hefty fines, and the long-term issues associated with registering as a sex offender.
If you are facing allegations of a sex crime, it is in your best interest to contact an Indiana sex crimes lawyer to protect your rights and safeguard your freedom.
Sex Crimes Defined in Indiana
The term “sex crimes” brings to mind a violent act in a dark alley. But there is other misconduct of a sexual nature that qualifies as a sex crime. Some sex crimes recognized by the state of Indiana are as follows:
- Child molestation
- Sexual battery
- Kidnapping and criminal confinement
- Sexual misconduct with a minor
- Sexual misconduct with someone who is unable to grant consent
- Sexual misconduct with a service provider
- Human trafficking
- Lewd and lascivious acts with a minor
This list is by no means exhaustive. If you have questions about sexual assault and related sex crimes, speak to an Indiana sex crimes attorney for answers and advice.
Penalties for Sex Crimes in Indiana
The Indiana court system applies stiff penalties for those convicted of sexually based offenses. Sex crimes are categorized by levels, each carrying a guideline for the judge to follow when sentencing. A brief description of the levels and their accompanying penalties are listed below:
- Level 1 felony: If convicted of a level 1 felony, the penalty is between 20 and 40 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.
- Level 2 felony: Convictions for level 2 felonies leave the convicted party with sentences of between 10 and 30 years in prison and fines up to $10,000.
- Level 3 felony: For a level 3 felony, the penalty is three to 16 years of incarceration and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Level 4 felony: If convicted of a level 4 felony, the defendant can expect between two and 12 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 5 felony: For a level 5 felony, the penalty is between one and six years in prison, with fines up to $10,000.
- Level 6 felony: Those convicted of a level 6 felony can expect to spend six months to 2.5 years in prison with an accompanying fine of up to $10,000.
Contact Us Today
When charged with a sex crime in Indiana, it is essential to understand that they carry severe penalties. If you have been accused of a sex crime, it is in your best interest to contact the team of experienced Indiana sex crime attorneys at Wruble Law LLC. We are here to protect your rights, your freedom, and your good name.
Reach out today for a consultation. We will review your case and determine the best strategy to minimize the charges against you. You can depend on us to mount a robust defense on your behalf.